View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 AM

The difference in the engines depends on the version of the 220D that you have. In general, the 220D is a "modern" engine, and is the last of the "gravity" injection pump engines. There was a posting a few years ago that explained the engine codes. Was a head gasket issue with these engines - mostly due to Americans not knowing how to drive these cars. A water separator is about the only "extra" needed, in my opinion. Your issue will always be what parts that were brought along when the engine was changed. Fortunately MB has a habit of stamping/casting a number on almost every part.

If it was me then my next steps would be the fuel and air systems:
1. Polish the fuel in the tank. Fancy way of saying to filter (and dewater). Lots of ways to do it - I've even used a house furnace oil filter in a pinch. Strongly recommend cleaning the tank and a strong dose of biocide.
2. Replace the rubber/cloth covered injector return lines now.
3. Change the fuel filters (and engine oil and filter if you haven't yet). Blow back the fuel lines from the primary (first) fuel filter - this ensures that the fuel tank strainer is clear.
4. Blow back the fuel return line (to tank) from the secondary filter connection. I would replace the rubber parts in both tank lines.
5. Hand prime the fuel system - be prepared to fix or replace the hand pump. Remember to check the oil level in the injection pump.
6. Clean the strainer for the air filter (am assuming an oil bath) and make sure the air duct rubber pieces aren't cracked open.

Then check the glow plug system.

I like pull-starting the beasts that have sat for a while, and I use the coolant heater or a pan of charcoal to warm things up before the "first start". Buying parts from here keeps this "free" web site going - you'll like the service these guys provide. A decent service manual is always better than hours of scratching the head - the folks here offer the ones from the manufacturer.

It doesn't get much easier than these engines - as long as you're willing to punch through a small learning curve.