View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 AM

uote=patbob;1622172]How about using a small hydraulic jack to "press" it out? [qUnfortunately, unless they were put in backwards last time, you'd have to push from the front towards the back and I can't think of much to push against.

Worse comes to worse, you might try getting at it from below. The UCA alloy is pretty soft, and you might be able to cut it off from around the bolt with a hacksaw, even by hand. That won't free the bolt directly, but it'll allow direct access to the stuck part of the assembly.

AlsoI'm curious (for future reference) if the bolt head could have been torqued off? Or is that pretty much impossible with these hardened bolts?[/quote]

that bit about the hydraulic jack is genius. That may break it loose enough to get it the rest of the way out. If that doesn't work I have the sawzall. My feeling on torqueing the head off is that first the inner sleeve would break free from the surrounding bushing and/or sleeve and then just spin. It seems mercedes owners are divided into two distinct camps here, those whose bolts just slide out and those of us who have to fight them out. My car has never seen a salted road either. Weird.

TANSTAAFL