View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Thank you MunichTaxi and ozawa, for your help with my problem. I pulled all the plugs, and found seven of the eight to be black and sooty. The eighth was black and oily. I cleaned all the plugs, and then cleaned the rotor and contact points in the distributor cap (one of which was heavily covered in a dark deposit, two more had light coverings of dark deposit). The spark-plug leads are all fairly new, so hopefully they won't be a problem. The car started OK and sounds as if it is running more smoothly (wishful thinking?) However, I noticed some dark smoke (not thick) from the tail almost immediately. This is different from the previous problem, since the blue smoke only seemed to come after the car was warmed up, and seemed to go away if I drove the car a bit hard. I didn't take the car out for a run this evening, as it was late by the time I finished the work described above. I hope to try it out tomorrow evening.

I have been reading that temperature sensor II can cause symptoms similar to those I describe, so I checked the resistance of both sensor I and sensor II at room temperature. Sensor I (air temperature sensor, I understand) was reading zero ohms at RT - I guess it is 'toast', but apparently it is not so important (is this correct?). Temperature sensor II (coolant temp sensor, I understand) was reading only 250 ohms at 20 degrees. Should this be higher (say in the 2,000-3,000 ohm range)? Should I replace it?

Is there a test I can do at home for the manifold vacuum sensor?

A visual inspection of the vacuum hoses showed no obvious flaws (except for the red vacuum line that runs from the small vessel near the firewall through the firewall with the green and yellow lines. That is obviously cracked and must leak.

I don't have the equipment to do a compression test at home, so will have to wait to have that done professionally. Also, I don't know how to set timing (I am new to this, as I said earlier). But I am willing to get help with the things I can't do myself.

I'll report again after I have had a chance to take the car for a test-drive.

Thank again,
Joe