View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I recently inherited this vehicle. I know nothing about the operation of how to remove the hard top and also this is going to sound really stupid but I can not open the hood. Is there a hood release inside the car or is it just in the front.
Hood release is in the driver footwell, right up against the wall in front of the door. Pull it back and that loosens the first latch. Then go to the front of the car, put your hand into the star emblem in the grill, in the top right triangle, and feel to the right. There's a handle there to release the safety latch.

To remove the hardtop you need some tools that should have come with the car. They just look like aluminum handles. If you don't have those, I'd suggest waiting until you get them. If you do, loosen the two latches at the front of the car, above the windshield. Then loosen the two latches, one on each side, just behind the doors. Then use the window crank handle behind the driver seat to loosen the back. It still isn't completely free, you need to use the small handle by the window crank handle to release the center latch pin.

You have to have two fairly strong people to lift the hard top off. The center pin in back has caused way more than its share of paint scratches, deep dents, dings and general mayhem.

Contact the MB Classic Center and order an owner's manual. That'll give you all these directions.