View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Hell, if it shuts off with the key then its vacuum controled otherwise it aint. Never heard of 115 diesel that didnt shut off with knob/cable system. Vac lines, junctions, elbows and tubes oughta interchange with any MB of 1970's era. No junk yards in yer neighborhood? Rules for fixing fuel leaks are simple: clean the area and retorque suspect fittings first. This means loosen em slightly then tighten em down but dont overdo it.

And have ye run fresh tank of diesel threw it? You wanna clean out whatever WVO mystery mix the last hacker used for fuel. It surprises me anybody considers a former WVO car to be an asset. Nevermind 115 with semi-primitive IP gettin molasses for fuel. Ebay now is swamped with WVO conversions fashionably done in past couple of years. Figure 20k miles is about right to funk up combustion chambers and IP's.

Pull yer glowplugs and you'll probly find loops encased in unburnt WVO, thats my guess. Scrub them with wire brush or clean em as best you can. 115 GP connections between the plugs is identical with 123 loop-plug 240 same plugs too. Otherwise I'd recommend gettin the gorilla knob system professionally sorted out. Are you sure you're deploying it correctly? Get an owner's manual at dealership to find out how.

Quote:
The 240D I had was a $400 project car that I barely drove home, and I think I paid about $350 too much for it. THIS car is a classic, and will definitely be a daily driver, as soon as I can figure out what is what.
Hope it aint like you flunked on yer first MB diesel and now about to bungle another? Respectfully, workin on engines takes mechanical knack and everybody aint cut out for it. No shame there, annual visit for professional valve adjust at end of Summer plus regular oil changes is practically all diesels require. Kids tryin to make learning experience of messin with em often leads to disaster.