View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

A possible solution is to maybe donate away the Neon to a charity auction for the tax deduction and get the write off so long as the car can still move under its own power and the idea of that works for you.

I wouldn't think there is a hot used car market or parts demand for them.

If you are thinking about replacing the car with another beater, how about this?

If you are not far away from a LARGE airport, (Charleston, Atlanta?) see if you can get in on a closely guarded secret (and it is HARD) and find out when the next Auto Auction is held for cars that were abandoned at the airport in long term parking lots.

The good thing about them is that in all cases they ran when parked, unlike other municipal car auction vehicles.

In San Francisco every two or three months they have a sweep and pick up a number of cars. Titles are cleared, and they are sold for unpaid parking fees, and most of the cars are VERY good ones. Most of them are grabbed by City Employees, and these auctions are NOT publicized. It is very hard to find out about them.

Sometimes they get REALLY good cars, like a Mercedes Benz or a Rolls Royce, because the owner had to get out of the country really fast
That actually happens.

I actually saw where those cars are stored prior to auction at the San Francisco airport. They were hidden in plain sight. You could drive past them 100 times and never know what they were. It was amazing.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)