Thread: I'm in love...
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Question I'm in love...

Hi all,

I had posted a couple of times in the past few weeks about a 1981 240D that I won on eBay. Well, I picked the car up today. Woke up at 5am, drove from West Virginia to Akron, got a temporary tag, and was home by 12:30. The car runs like a dream. It's not going to win any races, but it did better than I expected, even up hills. Definitely have to get some momentum going. But I love it.

The car looks great. Interior almost perfect. Exterior has a little more "bubbling" of rust than I had hoped for, but if that's the worst of my worries then I'm okay with that.

Mechanically, it seems very good. Very smooth. The only problem I had, I didn't know about until I was home (Preface: please forgive my clueless terminology, but I don't know jack about cars). After having parked it for a couple of hours I went back out to piddle around under the hood, and noticed that there was a decent sized puddle of diesel under the engine. upon further inspection I noticed a wet part on the engine. Here is a picture of the culprit:

http://picasaweb.google.com/surf.wv/Engine/photo#5115730923292245650

Is this the glow plug? There are four of them, and the one that is leaking is the one farthest from the front of the car. You can see in the picture, what looks like the white "foamy" stuff is where the diesel is leaking out.

Any guidance? Is it as simple as tightening the glow plug (if that's what it is)? and if all i need to do is tighten the glow plug, then what tools will make this job easiest? I have shallow sockets, and a crescent wrench, but I might need to get something else.

Thanks for any guidance. Ian