View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Cool New MB 300D T owner, need lots of imput please

I just bought a 1985 300 D(Turbo) MB with 185k miles. The car is a North Carolina rust free car.( I do live in MI, till I go to APP. State next year).
I'm trully impresed with this car. After sitting for years and years in a garage, and after one year of not being driven or fired up, the old MB started in just 4 sec crank. WOW!
First impresion with the car:
-Car blows some smoke, and has a rough idle;
-After 10 min the car quits smoking and the rough idlle goes away;
-Car seems to run perfect on the road once it warms uP?
-tried to restart car 2h latter..no rough idle drives fine;
-tried to restart car next morning...Rough idle(it misses?) for 10 min and smoke..till warms up;
-tranny seems to stay to long in 1?? shifts kinda hard in 2nd??

I never owned a MB before, but I did own a 2004 FORD FUSION 1.4 TDCI(Turbo Diesel COmmon Rail Injected).

I invested in MANN oil/fuel/PS filters, but I'm not sure what kind of motor oil would be decent priced and good in the same time(winter in MI goes to 20-30dg or lower). Any sugg?
My friend who is a diesel mechanic told me that most likely the injectors need to be rebuilt bc the fuel doesn't get atomized? like it should at cold startup?? I don't know much about diesels, but it makes sence since it only does sputter at startup and not when the engine is warmmed up.
Any comments???
I'm planning on changing the tranny fluid soon also, and other tune up should I do before winter???

thx a lot
Alex
www.dieseldoctor.biz
Please PM me with offers.