View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 AM

87 300 Impossible to Align!

This is a 300d but I think the body is the same as the 300e so I'm posting this in both topics:

I've replaced just about everything on my 87 300d turbo, 210k, new rear shocks, most of the rear arms, subframe bushings, sway bushings; in front it has new struts, control arms, tie rods, steering arm and probably a lot more I'm not remembering. I bought the car at 204k with completely worn Michelin's and they were smooth and even as new, so I know the front end was fine then. Before they realized the subframe bushings were shot, they replaced the front end parts which made it worse. After the subframe bushings were replaced it didn't wag around in back but the front still had problems.

The alignment shop has tried about everything and it drives like I'm drunk (but I'm not!). The outside shoulders of the front tires are wearing, and it weaves like the front wheels are fighting against each other. We tried reducing the toe in and that helps but the adjustment fades after 200 miles. While it's up on the alignment rack they can't get the readings to change significantly while stressing the wheels in every way possible.

I feel like we either installed some faulty parts, installed some parts wrong, or have yet to replace bad parts. Any ideas from the experts? Could we have installed sport suspension parts by mistake?