View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Since the car is new to you, and you didn't say whether you've previously owned a 617, are you sure this is not just normal diesel smoke?

Do you get the same amount (and color) of smoke under very gentle acceleration as under heavy acceleration? How about when you're at 40 mph or more and floor it so the kickdown switch engages?

To your oil leak question: How much blowby do you have? If you take the top cover off the air cleaner housing (engine off) and look inside, is there visible oil? If so, this can drip into the U-tube and be sprayed into the intake manifold by the turbo. But even then, some on this forum maintain that would contribute to a fouled manifold, but not necessarily smoke.

An oil leak inside the turbo itself (from the front oil seal) seems unlikely, and probably wouldn't be of any significant volume.
Thanks for your reply . Yes, this is my first Diesel, and first Mercedes, but the smoke seems to be more than what I've noticed on other 300D's on the road. I started the car up this afternoon and observed the exhaust while the car is sitting still. It emits a steady stream of greyish/white smoke at idle (car is warm to 80C). It is definitely noticeable, but not enough to build into a cloud while idling. It I can follow the trail of smoke about 8-10 feet from the car in a very light breeze and then it dissipates too much to see anymore.

I tested for blowby today also. With the car running, I unscrewed the oil cap cover. A little bit of whitish smoke came out. I put the cover back on, but didn't twist it closed and it slowly kind of vibrated around. Not really enough to make it dance, just a steady vibration that caused it to slowly rotate.