View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadonovan View Post
Hi,

You can remove the entire air cleaner and expose the entire throttle body and Fuel distributor.

From there push the sensor plate down. Look inside, it should be chrome metal in color; however ours all should be black with soot and gunk. While having the sensor plate down, spray at the visible black gunk and you will see them flow down and expose the real metal color beneath. This is what you should achieve.

Spray as much as possible to remove as much gunk as possible. The excess will flow into the engine to be combusted when you fire the engine.

While you have the air cleaner off, might as well look behind near to windscreen and see the Idle control valve; a cylindrical looking metal bottle resting on the intake manifold. Remove the electrical connection and top and bottom hose ane look into the valve. It should be chrome as well. Spray the carb cleaner inside and shake off the excess. If you have a 9v battery, you can test it to see the valve closing and opening ( I gathered from someone else on this -) )

Also check that all the vaccum hoses and three way rubber hoses on the intake manifold are intake and CRACK free. Replace or push the plastic tube in more if necessary.

Check for any wiring harness that is cracked open exposing bare wires. These can be remedied using splicing tape. Seperate the pair and tape them up.

Enjoy. You might find more chores when you are more familiar and daring.
Is it ok to have that gunk flow into the engine?
What about the 126
can you ppush the flap down & spray?

He's using BG
heard thats very good

Id be careful using it around a painted aircleaner as it eats the paint

I bought some intake carb etx spray cleaner fromthe 99 cents store
just to clean external gunk..wonder if it could hurt to get that sludge soot into the engine

Will have to look inside the flaps next time I have the air cleaner off.
There is one big vac hose next to the fuel dis
It looks ok...
I am tryng to be extra careful
I got daring changing vac hoses & broke the tvv vent in the hose.

Beware of the tvv...esp in old cars
its plastic & gets very brittle

Hoping the rest are on metal vents...

The bottom of the aircleaner around the port & tubing had some black soot which I wiped away so I guess I'd expect to see that inside
but does it really hurt anything?

I don;t have the standard icv
Mine is a bosch air valve
it has no electrical connections....

83 500 SEC Euro 198K