View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
nhdoc, Looks like a clean car and a good deal. Wonder why it only received 2 bids? Is it because the seller has zero feedback?

Also like to know (if you're willing to discuss) how you did the paperwork buying a car out of state and driving it back ($transaction/regi/ insurance etc).

Good luck!
I think you hit the nail on the head...zero feedback seller, no details in the listing and mediocre photos. All add up to more trouble than it is worth for most bidder. But I had seen this car in Hemmings and spoke with the seller so I knew a bit more about it than most bidders did.

As for the process, I simply bring cash and a set of valid plates off one of my other cars, pay the seller and have him sign the title, mount the plates and drive off. No muss no fuss. I'll register it once I get home. Never been caught (yet) and drive with a light pedal so as to minimize the risk. I carry the signed title and the registration that matches the plates just in case so I can explain that the plates are mine and valid, just not for this particular car. If I wanted to go the extra mile I'd get a temp plate from the state which they will provide with a bill of sale but I find this works best for me. I generally don't pay for a car until I have seen it so I can't register it before I go to pick it up.

Insurance is automatic once I buy a car I have 30 days coverage but in most cases I simply notify the insurance company of my plans and they add the car the day I pick it up.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz