View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM

Follow-up and a new problem

I determined the problem with my falling top to be that the connector from the piston to the top had stripped out on one side. The connector, shaped like a keyhole, was not available as a separate part. The dealer needed $750 for the entire cylinder mechanism. I took the connector to a machine shop where they inserted a pin into the stripped threads and welded it in, then retapped it for me. I reassembled and it works good as new, at least until...

...today, when I noticed a puddle of what appeared to be hydraulic fluid on the garage floor in front of the passenger rear tire. I located the source as coming from the hydraulics, but not exactly sure of what seal where in the mechanism. I'm sure I can identify once I get in there, but can the seals be repaired by a weekend wrencher, or do I need special hydraulic parts and skills? How do you best access the cylinders? Removal of rear seat and side wall? Once removed, is it possible to repair the cylinder without special tools or parts? I don;t see any applicable parts on Fastlane.

Kestas, I know you are a DIYer. Did you rebuild all your cylinders yourself, or get some help? I see lots of W129 "front cylinder" repair posts, but I'm not finding anuy helpful information using the search function. Any suggestions from the group are appreciated!!