View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM

As I understand it, technically that's not an international "license" that AAA can supply you with, but a permit. It can be helpful if you are stopped for a moving violation while in Europe, but I have never been asked for mine in... oh... 4 or 5 trips when I drove a rented car in Europe. If you are a AAA member, you can get one for a few bucks, though, and I don't suppose it can hurt to have it with you.

Check with your credit card company about rental insurance before you go, too. Most will cover you so you can decline the local coverage, but there are certain countries you will NOT be able to drive the car into.

I second the suggestion to visit Belgium; there are several significant battlefields there, and some very sobering military cemeteries.

As for the language -- PLEASE try to learn a few basic phrases; it will go a long way toward a healthy exchange with the locals. I know a very little bit of French, and learned enough German to basically say, "I am sorry, but I do not speak German; do you speak English?" And I always say "Danke" when they inevitably say "yes." Folks always whine about how rude the French are, but every last one I have spoken with has been friendly -- probably because I have taken the time to learn a bit of their language, and have thanked them when they offer to speak English.

The beaches at Normandy are amazing. I was lucky enough to visit them, and many other WWII battlefields, as a boy in the 80's, when there were several veterans at any given location. It was a very moving experience.
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)