View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1 View Post
I second the suggestion to visit Belgium; there are several significant battlefields there, and some very sobering military cemeteries.
Definitely visit Belgium, it is beautiful and the people are friendly. I loved Bruges/Brugge. The pommes frites guy in the town square (in a green booth if I remember) makes some of the best fries I've ever had. You can get to many of the Flanders battlefields from WW1 there, Ypres/Iepers is close and there are bus tours from Bruges directly there. If I remember right, they still play last post at 5pm every night and stop traffic at the city centre in memory of the WW1 soldiers. It is very moving. Closer to Brussels, you can go to Waterloo and look over the battlefields from the top of the hill. Much of it has been preserved as it was that day, which is very cool to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1 View Post
As for the language -- PLEASE try to learn a few basic phrases; it will go a long way toward a healthy exchange with the locals. I know a very little bit of French, and learned enough German to basically say, "I am sorry, but I do not speak German; do you speak English?" And I always say "Danke" when they inevitably say "yes." Folks always whine about how rude the French are, but every last one I have spoken with has been friendly -- probably because I have taken the time to learn a bit of their language, and have thanked them when they offer to speak English.
I couldn't agree more. Just making the effort or showing that you are willing to embarrass yourself a bit by speaking their language poorly will make them feel so much better about speaking English to you, especially if they are self-conscious of their English skills. I've never run into a rude Parisian any time I've gone, but what I've noticed is that they are very *direct*. They don't mince words and they don't try to spare your feelings. They just tell the truth the way they see it.

2011 Mazda2
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1994 C280 (retired)