View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
roflmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
We've been having problems with terabyte drives, especially LaCie. Not enough to be statistically meaningful, but still.... Western digitals have been holding-up better for us. Dunno why.

I'm about to buy a 1.2 TB RAID 1 HD sys (two drives, each at about 700 GB, mirroring) so at least I'll have back-up for when the thing self-destructs. I'll continue to use the internal drive for working files and back-up the working file to the RAID. We have 14 TB (RAID'd and weekly tape back-up) on our LAN but if we get more than a handful of files squirting through the system it really groans. The IT guys are supposed to be testing an upgraded system that will once again, wait for the computers rather than the computer waiting for the network.

It's the ol' nature abhors a vacuum thing. When throughput groans under a 50 gig transfer you limit file sizes to under 50 gig. When they upgrade to a faster system everybody will start shuffling 500 Gig files like it ain't nuthin'. Then we'll start moving into petabytes of storage ......

B

Are you gigabit in your office?

We have a huge lan here at my work. Everything is in Raid 0+1 (i think). Its fast, and there is security.

I love Western Digital Drives. They refuse to die. I have a scorpio in my lenovo laptop, and it works great with my active protection.

I have also found the larger the drive, the more problems it has. I have never had a problem with a drive under like 500 gigs. Anything larger, and your asking for trouble.

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.