Thread: Broken Bolt
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Broken Bolt

First, I want to thank everyone for their input on replacing the 560 SL water pump. I had changed one on a '79 300SD with no problems, years ago, but when I tore into this one, I couldn't beleive the work involved.
These threads eductaed me on removing the crankshaft pully, harmonic balancer, etc... (in fact, they told me I had to do this first).
I did rotate the engine counter clockwise before I found this thread, though. Am I screwed?
Anyway, what led me to the waterpump was that the car was doing fine, with no noticeable leaks at all, then one day after I came in from work, I went back to the garage about an hour later, all of the coolant from the radiator and expansion bottle was on the garage floor. I was told this was more than likely the Water Pump. From what I could see with a flashlight, it appeared that it was wet behind the water pump. The car is an '86 560 SL. Well, thanks to a little trial and error (and finally this web site), I've gotten the water pump removed.
Now I'm the proud owner of TWO BROKEN BOLTS.
Has anyone ever broken their bolts off when removing the water pump?Can anyone give me some direction on how to remove those two broken bolts? One of them is the bolt at the bottom that lives behind the harmonic balancer and the other is the bolt which is around 7:00 to it. Sears sells a "Broken Bolt Removal System" for $59.00. Anyone have any experience with that.
Your input is greatly appreciated. We're down to a 420 SEL (wife's car) and a motorcycle for transportation - it's getting too cold for the motorcyle).
Thanks!