View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Euro 500SL Vacuum Diagram Needed

Still chasing the stumbling problem on the SL, but (again) think it is about to be run to ground. The car is now with a former MB mechanic who is branching out onto his own here in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Briefly, have replaced the following: fuel pump/filter/accumulator, injectors (along w/seals and holder, fuel distributor, idle air hoses and probably a couple other things I don't recall. Turns out that the WUR/fuel pressure regulator is not "warming up". The mechanic has also figured out that some of the vaccum lines are run incorrectly (probably from the previous mechanic when he changed the idle air hoses and trying to troubleshoot). There are also two lines running under the throttle body that he says have no vacuum.

He's going to pull the throttle body to troubleshoot the lines with no vacuum and will replace the air duct housing the throttle body sits on while running the vacuum problem to ground. He seems to be relying on "what looks/works right", along with a diagram from an '83 model. Don't know if this model is SL/SEC/SEL.

He's quoted me a top price of ~$1,500-$2,000 for the work, which includes parts. (Says when he worked at Quality Imports he got 12-14 hours labor--@$ 99.69/hr for the job.) He seems honest, relishes the challenge and is charging $55.00 an hour since he has no overhead when working out of his garage at the house while his shop is being built. Sounds like a decent price for all that is being done, especially since it seems the previous mechanic who had the car for about two months and put in quite a few hours messing with it is only going to charge a couple hundred for his time and frustration.

I've searched eBay on occasion and only seen one manual for the 117.962 engine ever come available. I bid up to about $150.00, but didn't get it.

If any of you guys with the Euro 500SL happen have a vacuum diagram that you can share, it would be greatly appreciated.