View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Diesel Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninva View Post
so until 2 days i could never see the tops of my tires on the rear, i impatiently adjusted the adjustable link to have the car raise up to get the 13.5" clearance from center of wheel cap to fender lip. Then I learned that this was BAD to have the valve in the fill position to maintain a static unloaded height. So i crawled under there, undid the connection from the link to the arm and lowered the arm to netural/release position, the car barely dropped at all, still can see tops of tires for sure, its like it is all of a sudden maintaining base pressure. could some internals on the valve have been gunked up or stuck ? also i noted that where the link is adjusted to now is where it ruffly should be according to the nail through the hole on the lever into the hole on the valve body method. also also now the ride seems a little bouncy, maybe a bad accumulator or two, is there anyway to do a quick test without removing from the vehicle, i tap on one it sounds hollow, i tap on the other it sounds not hollow ?
thanks for all your help
Sounds like your control valve may be OK. Leave it in neutral position, shut off car, wait about 15 minutes or so. Open the fluid reservoir and check to see if any fluid is dripping from the filter. If you've got a steady drip-drip-drip, your base pressure valve is leaking by and you will either need to replace or rebuild. Ideally there should be no dripping at all.

Replace both accumulators; they are the wear elements in the system, serve the same function as shock absorbers, and require replacement roughly every 100k miles or so. They are easy to replace, especially if you have a lift. Cleanliness is required to avoid getting contaminants into the system.

Once you have them off and before you install the new, you can verify it's bad by inserting a dowel into the hyrdaulic fitting hole and measuring how deep until you hit the rubber diaphragm, then comparing with new.
'87 124.193 (300TD) "White Whale", ~392k miles, 3.5l IP fitted
'95 124.131 (E300) "Sapphire", 380k miles
'73 Balboa 20 "Sanctification"
Charleston SC