View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Getting into trouble driving the Mercedes? They are too fast.

I made the mistake of "probing the limits" awhile back and discovered that 148 mph in a 560SEC, is not just political promises, these cars will really deliver the goods and cruise at their top speeds, as they were engineered to do.

This took place on Interstate 5, on the San Francisco /Los Angeles leg of Interstate 5 which is like a bowling alley, at 5 am as the false dawn was coming up, with NO other cars whatsoever, around.

The car is in good mechanical condition, and lowered with wide tires, and the only difference at that speed is the wind roar.

No fuss, just floor it at 80 mph and hold. The final upshift comes at around 120 mph, but you just keep your foot in it. The cork is pretty much out of the bottle by 145 mph, but the car tracks true.

After a few minutes of this, naturally, you'd back off, but you know from then on, the most comfortable cruising envelope for these cars and their drivers, is from 90-120 mph.

The big S class cars from this era really ARE engineered to cruise at their top speed all day. It is just amazing.

I have noticed that lately, my trips to San Francisco and Sacramento have mostly been from 75-95 mph, pretty much at and above the flow of traffic (which is pretty light), as most cars run 80- mph around here these days

Before I get swarmed by everyone here, this is ONLY done when road and traffic conditions are safe. The basic speed law, 22350 CVC, is actually being obeyed.

Unfortunately, 100 mph is jail speed, which means impound, heavy fines, and custodial time.

The Police like to say in this state you can't outrun Bell, Motorola, and Fido.

And if you try to run, don't: You will just go to jail tired.

Sigh. It would be even worse if I was running a 500E/E500, AMG Hammer, or a V12.

I have another run to Los Angeles coming, this week. The road is calling.

Maybe I better "Getta Diesel" before I go, a 240D automatic and keep it under 70 mph ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)