View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM

Rear D Fill Plug Holy S**t

OK, so I've had the car up on the ramps twice now, trying to knock the fill plug off so I can change the rear differential oil. I didn't think it would be so ridiculously difficult. I've emptied almost an entire can of Liquid Wrench on it trying to loosen it up. It's rusted to hell. I think the last time it was taken off was at least 10 years ago (random guess). I'm using a 1/2 inch driver and 14mm hex bit attached. It is a swivel type so I can get some decent angles on it....still, after pushing, pulling, hammering with all my might, NADA. I've dealt with some tough plugs in my life but nothing like this.

I'm not Arnold Swar_______er, but I'm not slim pickens, either. I probably have as much muscle mass as your average German, though I'm not German. In other words, Mercedes should've/probably expected a dude with my strength to be working on this thing. Of course not on a plug that's been there for years without any love. I just bought the car a year ago and am doing all the maintenance to get it up to snuff. This is the last thing on the list.......krikey.

Any advice beyond "just keep doing what you're doing" is appreciated. I understand if there's nothing to say....hm. Is it possible it's never coming out?!?!?!?!

Thanks guys.
AUSTIN, TEXAS

Last edited by whunter; 10-31-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling