View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Its a Whatsit

See this thread I started from a few weeks back... Lets talk Hydrogen Injection

Basically, my research so far is indicating that all the claims are pretty much valid (reduced emissions, better engine efficicncy resulting in better milage). Better yet, you even get more torque at the low RPM end. However the gains are slight, as in under 10%.

Now if you get into injecting highly compressed hydrogen in with the fuel (still required as the hydrogen won't auto-ignite on its own), hings are different. He could be doing that, but it would take a significant amount of rework of the injection system to inject two vastly different fuels, a compressed gas and a flammable liquid, simultaneously. Just inducting the hydrogen into the intake starts replacing so much of the air needed for complete combustion that you start to loose power (and get severe knocking from the explosive burn, from what I've read).

Quote:
One of Kruger's systems induces hydrogen into the air intake of a diesel engine..
Doesn't sound like he's reworked the injection system, so he's probably just getting the above-mentioned effects and assuming that the increased torque he's getting at lower RPMs would hold throughout the entire RPM range (it doesn't). Gotta admint, it probably feels great to be faster off the line in such a beast of a vehicle though

Take my words with a grain of salt -- I've only had time to get through two papers on it so far, so I certainly don't know everything. There may be some subtlety to what he's doing that invalidates all my comments.

Broadband: more lies faster.