View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjensen View Post
Unplugged the aux water pump as you said, Brian. Problem stopped immediately. I assume that my ammeter readings were somehow incorrect and the aux water pump is in fact faulty. It must be drawing too many amps and activating some sort of protection circuit that shuts down the system to avoid frying the pushbutton unit? Why did the problem happen only with cool outside temps? Does the aux fan come into play only when it's cool outside? I assume replacing the aux fan is the thing to do, unless this test reveals something else is at fault? Thanks for the help.
Your ammeter readings were correct.

There is no "protection circuit".

The problem happened with cool temperatures because the monovalve started to cycle.

Now, as to the real culprit, I cannot provide a solid explanation because the SD does the exact same thing. A brand new auxiliary water pump (aftermarket) lasted about six months before the same symptoms were manifested.

My guess is that the pump is still drawing too much current.........even though it's below 1A........and the system is not at all pleased with the result.

A properly running OE pump won't draw more than .5A.