View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
David R. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Leo View Post
A good salesman looks upon EVERYONE he encounters as a potential client or reference and conducts themselves accordingly.
100% true.

I sold a tractor once, to a couple of farmers who looked like they didn't have two pennies to rub together. They stopped by and asked two questions: how much, and could they test it out in the parking lot. I gave them a quote and handed them the key(my office had a view of the parking lot). The drove a couple of figure eights and tried the pto and lift mechanism. They came back inside and thanked me for my time and said they would think about it.

Later on that day, the same rusty Chevrolet ruck pulled up towing a huge equipment trailer. The old fellow came in and asked if it was still for sale. I replied that yes it was, he then pulled a wad of bills out and paid me in cash without asking for one penny of a reduction in price. He walked out and loaded it up and was gone. Goes to show, you can't tell who your next sale sale will come from. I treat everyone alike, and some of the biggest pain in the rear people I have ever dealt with are the yuppies who think I'm desperate to sell and/or need the money.

Though there are exceptions to every rule:

I sold a military Jeep once, and this fellow kept coming by and indignantly kept offering 25% of my asking price. He kept making comments that it was the end of the month and surely I needed to make a sale. At that point, I gave him a taste of his own medicine and told him that the price was now $5000, not $4000. I sold it for the full $4000 a few days later, and the same fellow came by and demaned to know what happened to the Jeep he was going to buy. I was ready, I had copied one of those "buy a Jeep for $50.00" ads out of Popular Mechanics and handed it to him and suggested that these people probably had something in his price range.