View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculkin View Post
If it withstands appeal, which seems like a rather large "if", he might be able to do some good with the judgment, even if he doesn't get any money. One of the sweetest results I've seen come from a civil case was when Morris Deas sued the Klan (in Alabama, I believe) on behalf of a woman whose son was killed by some Klansmen. She got a big judgment and then levied on the Klan headquarters. It didn't bring her son back, but it had to hurt those Klansmen to have a black lady evict them from their clubhouse. Maybe the defendants in this Baltimore case have a church that he can take from them.

No way that will stand--suprised it didn't get tossed on a JNOV, remittitur or other post trial motion (speaking of which I won't elaborate since I should be getting ready for trial tomorrow). And it should. Plaintiffs will have to pony up some $ for defending it on appeal

On the Dees thing, I want to say that woman ended up actually collecting $3+/-M. Dees is a condescending, dismissive prick in person, but you are right, that was a sweet victory. Not an original idea though(as he claims)--I guess the movement started with Capones conviction for tax evasion instead of murder they couldn't get him for and then the then evolving wrongful death statutes ala OJ for the non lawyers.