View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM

Selling my 1969 220D - $650

I have a 1969 Mercedes 220D that reluctantly I have to sell. I purchased it last year to restore it, but my wife and I just had a baby and I realize I just don't have the time anymore. Here are the details:

Car has an Automatic Transmission, manual steering and power brakes. No A/C. It has approx. 160K miles on it. Body is SOLID - minimal rust. Floor pans are good. All the chrome was removed (in the trunk) and the car was 90% primed for painting with only a few small areas left to finish. The car is in Landisville, NJ. Zip is 08326.

It is a 2 owner car. The 2nd owner purchased the car from his neighbor, who owned a used car dealership on Rt 206 in New Jersey in 1978. At the time, the car had 69,XXX miles on it. The 2nd owner drove it from 1978 until 1986. He kept meticulous maintenence records. He changed the oil religiously every 2K to 3K miles and adjusted the valves every 12K miles. In 1986 the car was taken off the road and parked in a heated garage where it remained until early 2006 when I bought it for $1,000. It has been in my heated garage ever since.

It does need some work. The muffler is rotted, the dash is cracked, the brake calipers stick and, of course, it needs a paint job and all the trim (which is in the trunk) needs to be put back on the car. But it's all there. Engine purrs like a kitten and the 4 speed tranny shifts smooth.

I had a local farmer offer me $700 for the diesel engine, which he wanted to use for an irrigation pump, but I would hate to see this car get trashed especially since the chrome is so nice.

Let me know if anyone is interested, otherwise I will pull the engine and an otherwise good car with LOTS of good parts will go to the crusher.