View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Thumbs down Is it worth putting an engine in a 96 R129 with 100k?

I cannot believe how unreliable this car has been. I just put in a rebuilt transmission at 75k miles (actually 2nd SL500 that needed a trans).

Just the other day I had a connecting rod failure at 112k. Misfiring in an entire bank of cylinders. Indie pulled the plugs and checked the compression, severely low in all of the cylinders. Has a very loud clacking coming from the bottom end. He called over a friend who has an engine shop to get a second opinion and they both agreed it was most probably a connecting rod.

So..... I can get a used engine installed for 5k or so. But is it really worth it anymore? This is my wife's car, and sometimes my daily beater when I don't want to scratch up my vette at work. It's a 96 with 112k on it and a fairly new tranny.

What do you guys think? I know I can get a 2000 in good shape at the auction for 15k, but after having 2 SL500's that had tranny problems and now this one with a bad engine I don't think I would go SL again.

If I do get rid of it I will put it up as a parts car, in case anyone wants to offer before it goes on ebay. Its in great shape with a newer soft top, good body/paint, etc.

So, what would you do?