View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM

rack and pinion leak... Am I a dead man?

Well, my wife has told me "spend any more $ on that car and you're a dead man!" Should I be checking into burial arrangements?

I noticed, when I went to install the new studded snow tires for the '96 E300D that the bellows for the rack control arm was torn. "No problem!" says I... I'll just order a new a new bellows, install, and be done with it!" Wouldn't it be grand if life were so simple? Yesterday, I pulled off the old bellows and was a bit dismayed to find it full of oil, water, gunk, and the like. I cleaned things up a bit and had the wife start the car and turn the wheel back and forth a bit and watched as PS fluid oozed from around the ram (piston... what ever it's called.) Luckily, the phone rang (which distracted my wife) and I (in a cold sweat) tried to look like the situation was under control. The wife thinks that there is a minor problem and I can fix it without much ado... No Problem!-- says I...

So... my question is this: Do I need to hide under the porch, or is this something that can be (somewhat) easily remedied? I am hoping that this doesn't mean "It's new rack and pinion time!"

I have the shop Star manual that states that when you change the bellows, you should check and replace the O-ring... I saw no O-ring (please tell me it's as easy as installing an O-ring!) The shop manual is lacking in the exploded view of the steering assembly... I can't even see where an O-ring would go. Near as I can tell there is no external adjustment for this leakage... I am assuming (being rather pessimistic) I need to tear this whole assembly apart and rebuild (Please...say it aint so!)

So... do I need to rebuild my R&P? Is this even do-able? As I've stated in the past, I'm a cookbook mechanic... i.e. I can get the job done, but only if I have explicit instructions. Is this beyond my ability?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-l-
other fine diesels...
'99 Polaris diesel (Fuji Heavy Industries single)
'01 Diesel Trail gator (Yanmar triple)
'95 John Deere 970 (Yanmar quad)
'11 BMW 335d
'12 VW Jetta TDI

'00 BMW K1200LT
'02 BMW R1150RS

'15 BMW R1200GSA