View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
We're thinking about it again.

I'd rather adopt a kid from a foster home, toddler age. Adopting from abroad is mighty expensive (yeah I know, you can't put a price on love)
Not personally, but close friends of ours adopted a girl from Siberia 6 years ago. Like you said, not inexpensive, but at the time it was fairly simple (she's now 9). OTOH we have friends who got through the paperwork process, visited the orphanage over there, were matched with 2 kids while over there (they were willing to take them both in) and had the brother and sister (6 and 9) with them for 2 weeks around last Christmas only to have the Russian govt. put a hold on all adoptions to the U.S.

The ones who did adopt the girl have started the foster to adopt program with hopes of adopting another child here. The only scary part of the fostering to adoption aspect is that the birth parents/mother has up to 2 years to decide they want their child back. Don't quote me on that but it was a fairly long "trial" period.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)