View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 PM

123 Antenna Woes

If you have had it with the Hirschman electric antenna that never seems to go up or down. If it is broken what do you do?

There is another alternative for you. I found it when I was at my favorite pick and pull. Did you know that the 123 body also had a manual antenna option which is also located in the rear quarter? Yup!

I found a euro 240D with just such an option. Of course this got my attention... Wow - a way to solve the up / down / non functioning antenna problem. This is especially helpful for those of us who have after market radios without the automatic activation option.

While I did get the manual antenna out of the 240D Euro, I was not satisfied as it looked rather scummy. After looking around I found that there was a brand new MANUAL Hirschman antenna available which was a direct replacement for the original electronic one. It fits with the same grommet and it seals to the body without any problem. I did use the old 240D manual bracket which attaches to the wheel housing. You can probably reuse the electronic bracket, however you'll have to modifiy it to allow it to clamp to the base of the manual antenna. (Use liquid soap to get the head of the antenna through the body grommet. This will wash away and leave no residue.)

Here's where I got it: ************************ Here's the price...

82-385Hirschmann Antennas Manual Antenna $43.75 Shipping:$9.95 Total:$53.70

This 3 segment antenna works well and is an excellent solution to this problem. This would probably also work in a 126 or to replace other chassis (body styles) with Hirschman electric antennas.

Pete Williams
Hen's tooth, Halloween born, 1985 300D Turbo