View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 11:53 PM

616 engine water pump replacement

I live in the USA but own a 1983 Mercedes motorhome in the UK built on a 1983/4 307d chassis with a 616 engine. When I left it over Xmas the water pump was leaking. I will need to replace it when I return to it in May. Can anyone with experience give me advice on any obstacles I may encounter. I ordered a new pump from Europa and according to their parts info, my engine requires the pump with the single center bolt holding the fan assembly to the pump. I know I need to put a short piece of rod through the pump housing and shaft to hold the pump in position while removing the fan attachment bolt Does anyone know the size of the head on that center bolt? Is it easy to get the piece of rod in position? Any special tools or double jointed limbs I should acquire before crossing the pond? As an aside, why would a company which seems to have good engineering sense over all come up with the idea of attaching a fan to a pump with a single center bolt and no pins to hold the fan and pulley in position??? It strikes me to be a problem just waiting to happen.