View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Trex

Trying Kumhos

On my 1986 2.6L 190E (5 Speed) I run snows on the stock rims and I have a spare set of Konig 5-Spoke MB "Replica AMG" wheels that are 7" wide. This spring I will put on some 205/55 tires on the Konig wheels and I think I will try the Kumhos. I live outside of Philly and I figure if the snow tire/wheel combo takes care of the sloppy stuff, I can go for a more extreme tire the remaining 9 months out of the year. I have looked at all the specs and pictures on the TireRack site and I finally reduced everything down to three tires: The Dunlop SP 5000, The Potenza 730 and the Kumhos. Price is not a big issue. All three are under $100each. What sways me is that my main mechanic swears by the Kumhos and elsewhere, I hear a lot of great things about them. So, I 'll give them a try. Now, this does not really bear upon your concern, since you are looking for a tire to fit different conditions. I would say that for the money, the Dunlop SP 5000 (Asymetrical) looks very attractive. For a little more money the 730s really look good.