View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

HELP Do I need a new IP?

Please somebody have an answer.

Last month I drove the 1996 E300 with 80,000 miles down to Disney. It ran great but when we got there I did notice a diesel smell. We were all excited about vacation so I told myself I was imagining it.

We drove home and the car still ran great, no problems but the diesel smell followed us home. I looked though the car and finally found the problem. When I removed the plastic cover to expose the injectors I found a pool of diesel on top of the engine. (the car still ran fine at this point but I did notice the glow plug light coming on) I replaced the return lines but as I was doing it I broke a screwdriver in the number 4 injector. When I started the car it ran very rough so I replaced the injector. No good so I replaced the other 5. Still no good so I had it towed to a local shop.

When they first saw it they said it was only running on 5 cylinders, that's why it was smoking and running so rough. They pulled the injectors and did a compression check and said everything looked good. He said the only other thing it could be is the IP for the price of ... $2,900.00! He said it is getting too much fuel and thats why its running so poorly.

I thought the problem might have been electronic. There was allot of diesel under the hood, my glow plug light just started coming on and I have had problems with the wiring harness before (read my stalling post) but he said it couldn't be.

PLEASE HELP