View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
dieselarchitect

Near miss in INdianapolis

Today I was coming back from Ohio and in Indianapolis around rush hour, the traffic was heavy and it was raining pretty good. I was loafing along in the far left lane in my dodge diesel with six hundred pounds of oak flooring in the bed, and suddenly a white chebby van, full sized, appears at 2 oclock heading for my rf fender. He apparently came out from the entrance ramp, accelerated hard and went for the far left lane immediately. I don't see how else he could have appeared that way because I did not overtake him.

Anyway it all happened in less than a second, he veered hard for my position, with his nose maybe six feet in front of mine and going the same speed. When I realized he was not staying in the middle lane all I had time to do was crowd the barrells (they were working on the road) and brake hard. I braked so hard the antilock was activated and I missed him by inches.

I guess he was in a hurry.

I said some things my grandchildren shouldn't hear!

But I missed him. If I had been talking on the phone or had had my eyes anywhere but right ahead I would have hit him. If I had chosen any other option I would have hit him.

It is truly amazing nobody hit me in back when I braked so hard!

A couple weeks ago I was in heavy traffic and in the left lane a safe distance from the car ahead of me moving along, driving my truck agiain, ready to pass the semi in the right lane when an suv comes along up on my right wanting to get in. I didn't speed up or slow down and he pulls right in ahead of me with maybe three feet to spare. It kindof irrritated me and so I did not slow down immediately, intending to send a message that he had cut it very close, and would have backed off after a count of maybe three, but before i could the moron hit his brakes, very hard and if I had not braked very very hard I would have hit him.

Now I was really ticked. We all passed the truck and he pulled into the right lane and motioned me by. Wierd, did he regret his action? I went on by and parked next to another semi waiting for him to get nice and close behind me, but he did not and so I went on around and resumed my speed of preference. (I wanted him to think about what he did to me really hard.)

Eventually, He went on by and on down the road.

I really really wanted to brake check him back but it could have caused a pretty bad accident and involved innocents, so I would not have, but the id in me really wanted to hurt him.

I pulled off at the next exit and got a snack and took a stretch. My blood sugar was a little low and I get cranky when that happens.

Tom W
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.