Thread: Geodesic Domes
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
dieselarchitect

I was hired to figure out how to support a balcony in one built for the purpose of holding meetings for Amway or such.

They are like a lot of kit homes, by the time you finish them out they are not any cheaper than conventional construction and they are very very tricky to subdivide. Avoiding unusable space is tough if trying to create a house from one.

They are cool looking though and make great covers for large things in which round is a good shape, like storing salt!

There is a double or triple dome here that a doctor built. He designed it himself and finished it out with some very nice Architectural artifacts such as doors, fireplaces, etc. When he moved away about three years ago he put it on the market. It still is for sale. He spent a barrell of money on it and is asking a very low by comparison price for it.

I once saw Bucky lecture in person at Kent state and spent the night in an air supported structure, back in my college days, trying to get a young girl (about my age at the time) to do things with me, that she really should not have done, (and she didn't). Bucky was a very good, inspiring speaker.

I think it was before the students were shot there.

Tom W
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.