View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbryce View Post
What's the best way to remove the wood/aluminum from the backing strips?
What's the best way to re-attach the new ones, after cleaning off the old glue (or whatever it is), glue or double-sided tape? And what does the best job of removing the old adhesive?
I'd sure appreciate comments from those who have done this seemingly simple job....
I've done it on two cars, both 450SLs, but the dash strips aren't any different between the years.

To remove the old strips, I didn't take anything off the dash. I just used a small scraper and a flat blade screwdriver to pry the old stuff off. It was destroyed in the removing but that didn't matter to me. It was old, faded and cracked, removing it left it old, faded, cracked and bent all out of shape.

I dry-fit the new pieces before I installed them. On my 78, I had to cut one piece to work around the switches in the dash. On my 75, the pieces were already cut to the right length. To cut it I used a large pair of tin snips. Cut slowly and carefully, or the wood and/or finish will crack and look bad. On both cars I found the new dash strips were just a hair too wide to fit in the channel. I had to take my orbital sander and take about 1/32" off before they'd fit down in the channel the way they're supposed to.

I looked at the adhesive tape, but the only stuff I could find with the right adhesive (all-weather, high temperature, water-resistant) was on a foam backing. The foam would have made the strips sit out away from the channel, and that's not the way they're supposed to sit. I went to the hardware store and bought a bottle of indoor/outdoor contact cement. Brush on both the trim and the dash (carefully, so it doesn't get on the outside of the channel where it'll show), let it dry for about 15-20 minutes, then install the strips. So far, so good.

I didn't worry about getting all the old adhesive off, just removed any bumps and made sure the surface was free of oils by rubbing it aggressively with a tough cloth and IPA.