View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
And instead of complaining that someone's action to alleviate possible stress in a situation isn't good enough for you...

Please, provide your reasonable solution for the problem. I'm not talking politics here, I'm just following mom's rule of "if you don't have anything good to say, " and "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

I don't know much of the situation, so I can only offer to plan ahead, or be prepared to drive.
The first thing to do is to define the problem.

The way I see it is the problem is attempting to sequence too many aircraft for landing at all the various airports. When humans attempt to do this, they are not capable of handling any more than a specific number of arrivals to a given runway in a given time period. Nothing is going to change this fact.

So, either you allow computers to do more of the sequencing or you build more runways or you force the airlines to use larger aircraft. The latter is no solution because the public likes the smaller RJ's that can take them to smaller cities at a reasonable frequency. It's exactly counter to the need for larger aircraft to move more people.

At the present time, the three airports in the NYC area will typically experience 30 minute to 1 hour delays........in perfectly clear weather.

This should tell you that the current number of aircraft attempting to land in NY is too great for the infrastructure (controllers and runways).