View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

I agree, but I HAVE noticed that in the more recent Hengst filters there is crap falling out of the little "slits" in the upper section of the canister that did not used to occur. 4 years ago I used primarily bosch and sometimes hengst, and they never had junk falling off them. Now there's flakes of debris falling off of them when taken out of the package. (only off the hengst ones) Perhaps the quality has gone down to save $$ (wouldn't be suprised)

Frams are heavier (quite a bit heavier metal) and the canister has circular holes rather than "slits" so there's likely better flow, and the material is spotless and debris free. They even come in a sealed plastic bag inside the box! (as do bosch ones) The only thing they lack is the copper drain plug washer for some reason, but those are 10 cents online....so I just bought a bunch. Thats the main reason I use them. I've never had junk fall off a bosch or OEM/dealer MB filter. Those would be my alternative should the Frams not be produced anymore. Hengst/Mann/Purolator seem to have the most issues. And, the bosch filters are only $8, the dealer ones are now $17!!!! Yeah right! Hengst, are $9...and of inferior quality.

Best choices:

1. Fram
2. Bosch
3. OEM/MB filters

The rest have too much junk in them/falling out of them.

Imagine if a pine needle or twig chunk made its way into a piston cooling oil jet/sprayer in the bottom end...that'd completely block the spray, and the piston would be starved of the necessary oil. Or into the turbo bearings....or the valvetrain lube jets.....
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)