View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Moderating, Eh?

Ernesto - I'll go a little against the flow here and ask why you are looking to replace them?

Unless they are physically damaged, the stock speakers are good. What really counts IMO is proper amplification and the head unit.

When I had my 300E, I added a sub in the trunk, two Alpine amps and an Alpine head unit. One amp powered the sub, the other amp was a 4-channel and it powered the stock speakers.

The system sounded very good. Plenty of mids and highs. A slight gap in the lows between what the stock 4" (actually 118 mm or 120 mm IIRC) could output and the highest response of the sub (~80 Hz). This is more a physical characteristic of a 4" speaker - a different brand won't help much.

So, if all you are doing is dropping in another 4" speaker and not changing the amplification, etc., I wouldn't expect you are going to notice a huge change. A more 'modern' coax speaker may appear to sound more 'bright' but that could simply be a baised high-end output, rather than a more balanced output.

If this is the later W124 system with the door speakers, I can't really comment as I don't know that system and I understand it does have stock amps installed.

Good luck with the car!
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon