View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee8go View Post
I remember reading the story of a farmer in Britain that shot and killed one burgler INSIDE his house and wounded a second one. He was sent to prison and the wounded burgler sued him for shooting him, and won, according to the story.

I don't know if this was true and/or if it was accurate. I read it in the NRA's magazine, so it was some of their propaganda. Still, I can't imagine them making up something that could readily be verified.
I remember when that happened and it's true. As a Brit, I have mixed feelings about this one because the kid that was shot was fleeing, not armed and just a kid. He was hanging out of the window when he was shot in the back and the other fellow was also escaping when he was shot in the groin.

Gun's are very hard to come by in England (at least then) and firearms law is so strict that you can go to prison for carrying maze.

In the Farmer's case, it may have been considered excessive force to shoot him even though he had broken in. That said, England is a funny country when it comes to weapons law. I believe if someone is attacked in their own home, and they run into the Kitchen, grab a knife and stab the attacker, then it's considered self defense. If the knife is retrieved from under a mattress then then things start getting complicated.

Al

Last edited by alabbasi; 11-19-2007 at 12:15 PM.