View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Question Will these tires fit without rubbing?

Hi, guys. Normally I just "lurk" all your posts to find answers, but on this occasion I need to say yes or no to a potential deal pretty quickly. If anybody could help me with this info I'd appreciate it greatly.

I've got a 1982 300SD, stock tires and wheels. It has Dunlops all around, P195/70-R14, 5 lug. They are getting down to less than a nickel thickness in tread, so I'm about ready to spring for more tires.

I like Discount Tire for new, retail tires. It's going to run around 500 bucks for any of their really good ones. I was about ready to bite the bullet when I came across a deal from a private seller. Used tires, on rims, decent tread. They came off a 1976 450 SEL, and the size is P215/70 R14, 5 lug.

I did look at the tire size calculator on this site, but it doesn't address additional thickness. My tiny mind tells me that these tires are roughly 3/4" wider than stock.

I'd appreciate input from someone more knowledgeable than me as to whether these will fit without rubbing, and function correctly. I probably have to say yes or no to the deal today or they will "evaporate". Anyway, if somebody could enlighten me, that would be swell. Thanks, Steve.