View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 AM

Problems with my 1995 E420 (W124)

I know there are some MB Tech's are who a member on this site and a few other members who are really knowledgeable when it comes to our MB's so many some of you can help me with a current problem I have been having for a little over a week now...

Last week on Thursday (November 22nd) I was really low on gas and was driving to the gas station. Nearly 200FT away from the gas station my car starts to sputter, revs really strangely and doesn't shift into the next gear. Thank god I made it to the gas station. So, I get gas and everything is okay from there but I notice that my car doesn't quite drive the same anymore.

anyways, The next day I go out at night with a few friends and needed to get gas again (I drive a lot) and I roll up to the gas station to get gas. When I'm all done and finish my car doesn't turn over. I hear it trying to crank over to start up but it doesn't. At this point in time I wanted 15-20 minutes trying to start it and I call my friend to swing by to jump start me thinking it's the battery, but that doesn't work. After all of this - I had to resort to calling AAA and have the car towed to my house. Once he gets there I decide to check and see if the car would start again and it does - so I drive it home. Also, earlier into the night I was making a U-Turn which was pretty tight and at a pretty fast pace - 80% through the U-turn my car stalls and shuts off and all the warning lights on the guage cluster come on. I turn it off and it starts right back up. Just wanted to add that in there incase it would help.

So, it's been a week and the same thing happened to me again which happened to me last week at the gas station. Although, this time I'm not so lucky to get it started. I call a friend of mine to swing by since he drives a E500 W124 and help me out.

I was starting to think it was the EZL or the crank sensor but we swapped both of those out and swap those in since his are new and nothing works still. Then we move on to the battery and that doesn't work as well. Anyways, after a few hours of trying to get my car to work I give up and go out for the night and just have my car towed to my house tomorrow (today). So, I get to my friends house to pick up my garage opener about a hour ago and decided to see if my car starts and guess again.... it starts!

So, what the hell is wrong with my car? Why is it acting up so funny?

My question is what do you guys think the problem is? Could it be the Fuel Pump, Fuel pump relay, Fuel Filter? Earlier in the night while trying to start my car. When it would turn it over you would usually hear a hissing noise which comes from the Fuel Pump but you wouldn't hear that at all.

Could it be that I ran my car so low on gas that one day I ruined the Fuel Pumps and clogged the filters? Others are guessing its the OVP but I doubt thats the problem.

Any suggestions or advice would help out! Also, does anyone have a DIY instructions on how to replace the fuel pump and filter? Also, location and pictures of were those two are located?