View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM

380SL Noisy Startup and Timing Chain Question

~1 year ago, my SL started making a clattering noise on startup. It is a kind of clackity-clack. It only happens on occassion; not every startup and not only warm starts or cold starts. Based on some searches for similar problems, it appeared to be caused by broken oiler clips, so I bought a kit with the clips and seals.

However, when I pulled off the valve covers and replaced the oiler clips, I did not discover the damage that I expected. One or two of the clips on each side were a little loose, but not cracked, or broken.

After finishing the job, i began searching for more info, and have seen reference to cracked timing chain guides. I just realized that I have the guides but didn't replace them. Looks like i have a new project for this weekend.

Based on this setup, i have a couple questions:
1) Could faulty chain guides result in the described noise?
2) Some posts have said if you're gonna replace the guides, you might as well replace the chain while you're at it...do you concur?
3) Once I pull off the valve covers, do i need to replace the seals again. It is obviously not old or warn, but not sure if seals can only be tightened once before they can lose ability to seal.

Thanks for your help.
Justin

Last edited by jkford13; 11-28-2007 at 12:49 PM.