View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Stories when fillig up at the "Gas station".

The VW TDI Forum has a page by the same name and it has been running since May 20th of '02 and has developed a real following. Maybe it will here two.

Pulled into a MFA station for my B5 46 cetane (was 49 before the switch ULSD) and a guy was filling his Avalon as I pulled past him to the diesel pump. When I got out to start the pump he asked if my Benz was a diesel. I said yes it is and he replied it didn't sound like a diesel and was very quite. He then looked at the fuel price list board and before he said anything, I said 619.5 miles since I filled up. The look was priceless as his jaw dropped open and he stammered out a "wow" and then he said he has never made he 400 mile mark when traveling and usually is filling up around 350 to 375 miles at most. He then ask me what my mileage was and I told him normally when I travel I drive hard and usually only got 32 to 33 on the road.

He then ask if it was hard to get on the interstate or drive in the mountians with the slower diesel. I laughed and told him I had on this tank done a few blow the cobbs out and on one of th 1/2 dozen times I had been cruising for about 4 miles at 140 mph his knee's almost buckled and he asked if it was a V8 engine. He was supprised when I told him it was just a 3L I6 and that I regulary got 26/27 in town with my heavy foot. He stated at that point he got 16/18 in town and his average highway mileage was 26 mpg for his Avalon.

He waited and watched as till I finished and saw the pump kick off at 18.7 gallons and then just said take care and it was nice talking with you before he got in his car and drove off. I was able to let it vent and get 19.1 gallons into the 21.1 gallon tank. I will just call it 32 mpg and I am very happy about that kind of mileage the way I drive.

I had thought it would burp again, but it didn't and dribbled down the side of the car. I have just about decided that trying to vent this car is wasted effort and most of time it just dribbles fuel down the side of the car.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.