Thread: 1986? 230e
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002, 06:07 PM

Question 230E value

Mark:

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. $3800 is no bargain, but if the car is in good condition it is not excessive either.

As for the automatic I would have mixed feelings about it as I never like automatics on 4cyl engines. On the other hand my 19 year old 230E has way more torque than my brand new Honda with a similar stated output, so much so that 1st gear is for all intents and purposes only to break the inertia. The fact that I can drive very smoothly from 2nd, and the way she pulls from low speed in 4th suggests that an automatic might not be too bad.
(It is also a very smooth engine, at idle it is impossible to tell whether or not it is running.)

I consider the 230E to be a touring car, not a sports car, when I line up the silver star down the highway and Glide my way up to cruising speed (135kph) I feel like a million bucks. An automatic could still accomplish this.

The best thing that you could do is take it for a test drive, and get her checked out. The fact that she is a euro model just makes her more special. People always stop and smile when they see my car (especially the dieselheads). I have never had problem with parts and have no gripes.

280SE sounds nice too though.

Good luck,

Nick