View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Unhappy Fuel Pump Relay or CIS-E Unit??

I have a 1990 560SEL with a warm start problem thats also expanded into short hickups while driving. Narrowing it down with a friend, here is what's happening:
  • Starting problems only happen when the engine is warm and has been sitting for more than 10 minutes parked.
  • Stalling (only for ~1-2 sec) when driving leaves the tach functioning so it's probably not the ign. control module.
  • Ignition coil replaced with no improvement. (old secondary had 8.5kOhm, new has 10.5kOhm)
  • When the problem happens while starting, the fuel pumps are NOT running while the starter is running. They do however run for 2 seconds if engine is not started. A clue may be that the fuel pumps will run much longer than 2 seconds at times even without starting the motor (this is intermittent).
  • Fuel pressures and leakdown of fuel system have been tested with good results.
  • I haven't tested fuel pump current, but they do make more noise than I'm accustomed to.

It appears to be temperature dependent since I've had no cold starting problems. I think the cause must be either an intermittent fault in the fuel pump relay or the CIS-E control unit sending a "fuel cut" signal to the relay when it shouldn't. The CIS-E control unit unit has a temp sensor input which is why I'm including that as a suspect. I don't think it is tach signal related, because my tach still works when the motor cuts out on the highway.

Please, any ideas or suggestions?

2002 Audi S6 Avant
1983 300D
1984 300D (sold)
1990 560SEL (sold)

Last edited by biobenz617; 12-01-2007 at 03:55 PM.