View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemiii View Post
I took my 99 S320 (109,000) in for CA smog and it passed great, with no problems. On the way home the trans began to slip a bit and then it went into limp mode. I got the car towed home. My check engine light is on and the code read P0763.

I took it to a local Mercedes shop and they told me they think the transmission is toast and that I should have been changing the fluid every 40K. I told them I thought it was a lifetime fill. They said no there have been too many problems. They say the dipstick fluid looks black and the only computer codes they are getting are from the trans. ($98.50 diagnosis).

They want to replace the trans with a rebuilt $3700 plus $800 labor. Does this seem reasonable? Should I consider towing for a second opinion? I doubt the car is worth much more than $10K . Just nauseus right now.

Thanks for any knowlegable advice . chris
First check the TCM, Transmission Control Module for Tran’s fluid contamination, passenger side rear fender by the fire wall, black box. Look at the wires on the controller (SIEMENS EGS) if you see fluid on the wires that’s your problem.

A while back I posted the complete test For the TCM voltage and resistant test thru the TCM, I did an search and can not find it, maybe you will have better luck than me.

03 SL500
02 MB AMG
87 560 SEC
87 300D
928S 83
85 928 S2 EURO