View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Strong, silent type

I am just sick and tired...

...of all the whiny, irresponsible people who are not willing to accept responsibility for their actions. If you break the law, then shut up, accept the consequences and be done with it. If you don't like the law, then do something positive to change it.

We are raising an entire generation of whiny people who are unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions. One of the things that I teach my chidlren is to obey the law, even if the think the law is unfair. If they think the law is unfair, then I teach them to lobby to change the law. (I am not talking about patently unfair and unjust laws like segregation or apartheid).

I have a young driver (you may have read my posts about my teenage daughter and her "new" 300TE) at home. I make darned sure that she understands that traffic laws are not optional. They are meant to be obeyed, not only for her safety, but for everyone's safety. If she doesn't like the law, she should lobby to change it. Or, in the latenrative, she should buy an island, or a Texas-sized ranch, and then she can drive any way she darn pleases. As long as she drives on public streets, that she shares with others, she better obey all laws, including stop signs, red lights and speed laws (speed trap or no speed trap).

RENYF1: Maybe in your state, police officers make $$$ to go to court. In California, they get paid the same as they would otherwise get paid if they go to work. Many times, officers are required to go to court on thier day off, or on a vacation day. Bummer, huh??? I guess it sucks to be them....I live in a no-plea-bargain county. You plea guilty to the charges or you go to trial. Makes it all that much intersting.

TxBill: I personally don't know any lawyers who are upset about Nolo Press. As a matter of fact, many are happy to see places like Nolo Press being available. First, many people, once they realize that things are more complicated than they originally seemed, end up going to a lawyer. Second, many people, after they screw up royally by following the DIY approach to law, have to go to a lawyer who then ends up charging extra money in fees in order to straighten out the screw up. It is like a lot of DIY mechanic that I know, after spending hours fiddling with their cars, and making things worse, they end up going to a mechanic.
I am not opposed to people fighting righteous tickets (if you carefully read my post you will see that that I offered some tips to the original poster in case his father's ticket was bogus). What I ma opposed to is people not accepting responsibility for their actions. Yes, there are people getting away with murder, or worse. OJ and Kenneth Lay are two examples that come to mind.

And yes, more power to the people. But more power, should not translate into anarchy, lawlessness, or worse.

Kuan: You are 100% right. The best advice is how to avoid getting tickets altogether, i.e., obey the lawy It is like birth control...the best one is just not doing "it" at all.

OK, now I'll get off my soap box, the altitude is giving me a nose bleed.

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!