View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Strong, silent type

Re: In the case of my father.

Quote:
Originally posted by blau
In the case of my father. He did not blow the stop sign. The officer said he did not stop long enough (complete stop). He was in a residencial area. Was not going that fast anyways.

My question is what the hell is the cop doing there in the first place. It is obviously a stop sign trap.

I support the laywer and website that help people get people like my dad off as long as they have the cop have mandatory ticket quotas and speed, stop, sign traps.

IN THIS TIME OF AGE WITH THE 9-11 THING. WHY ARE THEY TRAPING MY DAD AND PEOPLE LIKE HIM. WHEN THEY COULD BE GARDING A BRIDGE, PUBLIC BUILDING OR SOMETHING.

TALKING ABOUT IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE. IS IT IRRESPONSIBLE FOR THE COPS TO SET UP SPEED TRAPS WHEN THEY COULD BE PROTECTING US.
Blau:

First of all, cut it out with the all-caps. All-caps is the equivalent of yelling. No one, least of all me, is impressed by yelling.

Second, cops don't have ticket quotas. They can write as many tickets as they want.

Third, if your father rolled thorugh the stop, then he broke the law. A Stop sign means: stop, look and, if clear, then go. If he did not make a full stop, then he broke the law. Plain and simple. A stop sign is not an optional thing, where you stop if you feel like it. When you come to a stop, you have to stop, plain and simple. Driver's Ed 101. It does not matter whether it is a residential area or a business area or any other kind of area. Stop = stop. Plain and simple. Drivers in California are notorious for rolling through Stop signs, hence the term "California stop" to refer to a roll-by-stop.

Fourth, as G-Benz previously noted, the officer was at that location probably because neighbors had previously complained about drivers, like your father, rolling by and not stopping. I live in a residential area. We have a huge problem with drivers (usually young drivers) rolling through stops and nearly hitting kids or bycicle riders.

Fifth, maybe by enforcing traffic laws officers can catch terrorists before they attack. I am not saying that your father is a terrorist, but imagine a scenario where a terrosrist, distracted with thoughts about hijacking a plane, rolls by a Stop sign (or speeds through a so-called speed trap). An officer stops him and while doing a routine DMV check he realizes that the driver is wanted on suspicion of being a terrorist. Officer nabs him and a terrorist attack is foiled. Sounds incredible? Well, that's what almost happened when a highway trooper stopped one of the 9-11 terrorists for a traffic violation. Unfortunately, however, there were no warrants out ont he guy and so he was let go. But it could have easily gone the other way.

Sixth, there is a simple cure for so-called speed or stop traps. Don't speed and make a full stop. It is really that simple.

Seventh, and I'll stop here. Personally, if I broke the law, and got a ticket, the last thing I'd do is complain about it in front of my kids and therefore encourage disrespect for the law in them. I'd pay the ticket (as long as it was a righteous one and I had not borken the law) and use it as an object lesson to them on the importance of following the rules. Call me old fashioned, but I think America was a far better place in the days when everyone was encouraged to follow and respect the law. I think that our society has suffered a great deal due to the attitude, shared by many, that the laws don't apply to them, that cops are bad for trying to enforce the laws and that everything, and anything, goes as long as they can get away with it.

In my forever to be humble opinion, I think that your dad would be far better off teaching you that there is a price to be paid for breaking the law (even a seemingly minor one) and that cops are not there to try to screw law abiding citizens. The last thing I'd want to see, as a parent, is one of my kids trying to find a way for me to get out of a ticket that I've have righteously earned.

Of course, I also think that if I was Johnny Taliban Walker's dad, I'd give Johnny a swift kick in the butt and use the money that is now going to pay for his defense lawyer to help out some of the victims of 9-11. But hey, that's just me.

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!