View Single Post
Old 05-09-2000, 03:02 PM
MB Shop Retiree

No offense, but dealers will always suggest sticking with OEM everything!!! The 215/60/15 will fit fine, and so will the 205/60/15 (They were stock on the sportline.) Seeing that you are in Canada, I was wondering if you have snow in the Winter. If you do, I wouldn't recommend an Ultra High Performance All-Season becuase I don not believe they will meet your winter needs. I would go with dedicated winter tires (in the stock size of 195/65/15) and upgrade an extra set of wheels.

Recommendations:

Cheapest - Getting the 15x7 OE Wheels from TireRack that are only $35 a piece. Great Price, and MB quality. It pays for itself cause you wouldn't have to switch tires of your stock rims, just switch wheels and go.

Replicas - Getting 16x7.5" 8-hole replicas from TireRack for $129 and putting 225/50/16 on the rest of the year will give you much better performance.

Ebay - Sometimes you can find good wheels on sale on Ebay (Becareful about people who try to scam you, usually do have fancy web pages and make aliving off of this.) The bets buyers are your common folks trying to sell the wheels and thats it.

This guy bought his wheels from TireRack and doesn't like them I guess. Ask what are the specs on his tire/wheel package and double check to make sure they work on your car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=325410820

Here are some used Chrome Lorinsers RS90 in 17x8 ET 33 which I belive fits but might rub with 225/45/17, so be careful.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=324999882

Below are some nice ones, 18x8 AMG Monoblock II which would require 225/40/18.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=325748490

Tires: If you get dedicated winter tires, don't get a compromised Summer tire unless if you are stuck on getting the best tire wear (which usually is a compromise leading back to All-Season tires) and loosing the potential of getting better tires.

215/60/15:
Firestone Firehawk SH30 High-Performance All-Season (better for touring) expect long mileage (about 50-65k) and are H-rated (130mph) and offer very good wet weather characteristics for a tire in this category (OE Plus "0"/OE replacement sized tires) and are very touring-minded. $63/each from TireRack.

Michelin Pilot XGT H4 if you have to get Michelin and want an H-rate tire. They are very close to Firestones with the Michelin Name, expect 50k miles. $82/each.

Michelin Pilot XGT V4 if you want an Ultra-High Performance Tire that offers better handling and still gives decent wear (expect 20-25k miles) $115/each

225/50/16: If you go with 16" wheels for your summer tires, and keep the stock 15" for winter, then this is the size -

Yokohama Avid V4 offer a 45k mile warranty and are V-rated (149mph) and are also All-Season rated. They are more touring minded then Performance, but they offer the mileage out of a tire. $84/each.

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical are a very nice balance. They wear quick at first when braking them in, but then there are no complaints. I have them and love them. I would expect 25-30k miles, and offer great handling for an All-Season tire. They are W-rated (168mph) and cost $97/each. They are great in wet or dry weather.

Bridgestone Potenza RE730 offer great!! weather traction (an AA rating) and decent wear (UTOG 300) while being economical for its category. They are Z-rated (149+mph) and offer very good hanlding (better then a
Dunlop SP Sport 5000) and costs are pretty decent for a dedicated Ultra-High Performance Tire at $107.

For a Maximum Performance Tire Incredible traction in wet and dry and offer no compromise are the Dunlop SP Sport 9000. They are incredible in wet weather and are quite for a tire in this category. Many Sport/Luxury car owners do choose these because they wear a netter then the others in this category. $166/each

And If you have to have Michelin, The Pilot Sport very close to the Dunlop SP Sport 9000, for $216/each

I recommend the Bridgestone RE730 because of the price and I believe if you get alot of rain (alot!!) I would consider the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 (untouchable) for standing wet water and will almost eliminate hydroplaning.

For the 17, go 215/45/17 and Bridgeston Potenza RE730 or Dunlop SP Sport 9000 (cheap for a special of $139) and for 18", go 225/40/18 and Dunlop SP Sport 9000 since they are the same price as the Bridgestone Potenza RE730.

Sorry for the Long Posts, but I usually explain it all at once. If you aren't asleep by now, you should have a better idea of what to prepare for.

Good Luck.

------------------
Chirag (Charlie) Patel

- 99 Mercedes-Benx ML 430 V8 w/custom TV, Video, UHF, speaker system
- 93 190E 2.6 (4-sale) w/ an amp, equalizer, and CD-changer, integrated w. stock stereo for integrated cellular phone speaker system
- had a 93 190E m103 3.2, 5-speed trans,
- had a 88 300E 2.6
- had a 84 300TD w/275k+ miles
- 2001 C-Class - Maybe (if 190E sells)

[This message has been edited by Chiragp (edited 05-09-2000).]